Welcome to my page! My name is Riza Baltazar. I am a Filipino transgender male born in Quezon City, Manila. I immigrated to Canada at the age of 4. I enjoy cooking and playing guitar. You will find me either playing board games, video games and outdoor sports with friends and family or relaxing with a cup of tea at home with my ferret. On the side I occasionally do live streams on Twitch and create videos on my YouTube account.
Software Engineer & Data Analyst.
My goal is to become a data scientist. I am a 31-year-old developer and researcher. I learned how to clean up and analyze data using Python and R. I create graphs to tell a story; to learn and teach using science and technology.
- Website: https://rizbaltazar.com/info
- Phone: email instead
- City: Ottawa, ON
- Degree: Bachelor of Science
- Email: email@example.com
- Freelance: Available
I started my journey as an aspiring developer out of high school. I graduated from Algonquin College with a Computer Engineering/Computing Science Advanced Diploma. I worked in private and public sector jobs as a web developer. I recently received a Bachelor of Science Major, Physics, Minor in Statistics from Carleton.
Over the years, I spent my free time working on my website, participating in game jams, and creating small web applications. I started leaning more towards Python as it is a readable language and there are tons of packages out there for creating video games, websites, and performing scientific analysis.
For Data Analysis, R is faster and sleeker in terms of computer usage. I learned R in my Data Mining course and used the knowledge I gained over the summer on Kaggle to pass the class with flying colors! From Exploratory Data Analysis to making predictions using Random Forests and Decision Trees, I find Data Analysis interesting and challenging.
Experience in technical support for one year, and web development for two years. Carleton University Undergraduate Bachelor of Science Major in Physics, Minor in Statistics. Algonquin College Advanced Diploma in Computer Engineering Technology.
Bachelor of Science Major, Physics, Minor in Statistics
Sep 2017 - Dec 2020
Carleton University, Ottawa, ON
- Paul Menton Center notetaker for Students with Disabilities
- Recognized Study Group participant
- Panelist for Physics Department Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Colloquium
Relevant Courses: Computational Physics, Data Mining, Statistical Modeling, Regression Analysis, Sampling Methodology
Advanced Diploma Computer Engineering/Computing Science
Sep 2010 - Dec 2013
Algonquin College, Ottawa, ON
- 3rd place Applied Research and Innovation Day (ARI, 2013). Developed a web application for a client that allows patients to track symptoms and medications, and communicate with their doctor outside of the office.
Relevant Courses: Differential and Integral Calculus, Data Structures, Software Design, Testing and QA, Numerical Computing
Junior Software Developer
Oct 2014 - Oct 2015
TekSavvy, Gatineau, QC
- Facilitated communication within the technical support department by creating a Windows Presentation Foundation user control library using the Lync Software Development Kit for the CRM application
- Centralized company workflow with the development of SharePoint 2013 solutions
- Attended weekly scrum meetings, and used kanban boards to track features and bugs (Trello and Team Foundation Server (TFS)) following agile methodology
Junior Web Developer
Apr 2013 - Aug 2013
Titus, Ottawa, ON
- Debugged issues in Chrome and Internet Explorer using web browser development tools
- Researched and wrote documentation for reverse and forward proxy
IT Service Desk and Junior Web Developer
Jan 2012 - Mar 2013
Canada Revenue Agency, Ottawa, ON
- Trained new employees and co-op students on interacting with clients, imaging workstations, physically installing workstations, and using Service Desk
- Ensured all workstations and monitors were tracked by inputting serial numbers in Service Desk
- Provided the proper solutions for users with technical issues on-site and remotely
- Replaced the Common Look and Feel (CLF) for the intranet based on the Web Experience Toolkit (WET 2.0) protocols